Kimberly Breyer and Ozge Gunday are coordinating the SCBWI-IL Speakers Directory this year. Kimberly is the main contact for simplicity’s sake. She and Ozge are working closely to keep things running smoothly throughout the enrollment process.
The 2010–2011 enrollment begins August 1 and will run through September 30.
Past participants, please begin thinking about any changes you’ll need for the renewal cycle. If you were a member last year, here’s the link to refresh your memory on what you have up there now: http://www.scbwi-illinois.org/Speakers.html.
Here is a checklist to help you get started:
- Visit http://www.scbwi.org and make sure your membership is current.
- List one publication that fulfills P.A.L.* requirements.
- Complete the form located at http://www.scbwi-illinois.org/Subscribe2010.html.
- Double-check the word count of your profile. If you’re a returning author, please note your changes using boldface.
- Pay via PayPal or send a check with your registration form by September 30.
Some additional information and answers to FAQs:
- Your profile will be limited to 350 words.
- You may include one JPEG photo.
- The fee is $25 for new registrants and $10 for renewing members, payable by a check made out to SCBWI-Illinois or by PayPal. Payment is due with your enrollment form prior to the September 30 deadline. See the enrollment form for complete instructions.
- All speakers (new and renewing) must complete the enrollment form.
- See the bottom of this e-mail to read more about the directory.
- You must be a current SCBWI member at the P.A.L.* level to be listed in the Speakers directory. Please verify these requirements prior to submitting your application.
* P.A.L. stands for “Published and Listed.” This level of membership is open to those whose books, articles, poems, stories, illustrations, photographs, films, and television or electronic media for children have been commercially published by one of the organizations listed in the SCBWI Market Surveys. If you’re not sure of your P.A.L. status, call the National office at (323) 782-1010 or e-mail Sara Shacter at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Be sure to check your word count PRIOR to submitting your profile.
- It is unnecessary to include contact info in your profile since we display the same information below your profile.
- We are standardizing contact information. You will be limited to one e-mail address and two web addresses, so make sure you provide current information. Check off the appropriate boxes for genre. Renewing members: Information you have listed in the past will be replaced by your selections on this year’s enrollment form. Also, we do not recommend listing phone numbers on the Internet.
- We are also standardizing the blurbs under each speaker’s name in the index. This ensures easier searching for visitors. Renewing members: Revisit what you have. If you add more than the standard categories, please limit extras to twenty characters in the “OTHER” category (no abbreviations). Please keep “OTHER” related to children’s writing.
- Be sure payment (either check or PayPal) is included with your registration form.
If you do not wish to receive direct e-mails from us regarding the directory, let me know. Otherwise, more announcements will arrive via e-mail as enrollment time approaches. Thanks!
Kimberly Breyer and Ozge Gunday
Speakers Directory Coordinators
*** MORE ABOUT THE DIRECTORY ***
The Speakers Directory offers a cost-efficient way to reach people across Illinois. Listed here are SCBWI-Illinois authors and illustrators, as well as their genres and formats. Each participant has his or her own web page on the SCBWI-Illinois website which contains author, publication, and contact information.
SCBWI Members (at the P.A.L. level) benefit from the ongoing promotion of the Speakers Directory with Illinois librarians, educators, and booksellers. We are linked from many listservs and websites for school librarians, educators, and booksellers around Illinois. Once visitors connect to our website and click on our Speakers Directory button, they discover the talented professionals in our state who create for children.
The price is an affordable $25 for the initial enrollment and setup, with a $10 annual renewal charge (subject to change). Each web page will include a profile with contact information, one image (a photograph, book jacket or your own art), and a link to your own website. Changes may be made to your web page each year during the renewal period. If you’re not yet a published children’s author or illustrator, we hope you’ll be ready to take advantage of this marketing tool in the next enrollment period!